It is, in fact one of those things that can really get in your way. Your job may be your biggest barrier to a lasting relationship.
One of the saddest conversations I ever had was with a man who said he would like to have a relationship but he worked ALL the time and he really has no time for a relationship. What he essentially was saying was that he is married to his job. He didn’t have time to find a relationship with anyone except coworkers. He did not want to risk his career to take any time for a LIFE!
If you and your love are never together you MIGHT just fall in bed with someone you do spend time with at work.
Plus relationships that don’t have enough togetherness simply die of neglect.
It’s really important to spend time with your love.
Balancing work and a relationship can be very difficult in a modern world, so think about how you can get more time with each other and nourish your relationship.
Here are some possibilities:
1. For many men a job is very tied up in their ego. They think of themselves as their job title. It’s pretty dangerous because many jobs are pretty insecure. You may be a banker today but tomorrow you could be unemployed. So don’t get too tied up in your job emotionally. Your emotions work for those you love and who love you, but for your job, not so much. It’s just a way to make a living.
2. How much do you want that big house in the ‘burbs? The time you spend in the car is time you can’t spend together. Commuting long distances is NOT romantic and may be relationship killers.
3. Couples who work different shifts may never spend time together. Swing shifts are bad for relationships and your health.
4. Lots of travel for work may get you in trouble, too.
5. Living in different places most of the time has ended more than a few marriages.
There are lots of ways to deal with the factors in your life that keep you apart and interfere with your relationship. Look at what you really want out of life. Having a good relationship will sustain you emotionally through both good times and difficult times.
Design your career around your life so you still have a relationship and a life.
Tags: balancing work and a relationship, career conflict with love life, career vs relationship, careers vs relationships, having a career and a relationship, loves his job more than me, married to his job, no time for relationship, relationship dying from neglect, relationship killers
Comments are closed.