Thursday, March 3rd, 2011
According to “The 2 Income Trap”, (Elizabeth Warren & Amelia Warren Tyagi), one of the three big causes of bankruptcy is divorce. The other 2 are illness and unemployment, both frequently beyond your control. But divorce may be much more within your control, not always, but some.
You can choose well and make up your mind to make a marriage last…if you want to do it right.
But be really careful about choosing a partner. It really matters, not just financially, but emotionally, too.
Some people marry for all the worst reasons. Here are a few reasons to marry to avoid so as to decrease your chances of divorce.
1. “They’re SO good looking.” And they might also be spoiled, ignorant and shallow, too. Appearance isn’t everything.
2. “It was love at first sight.” Look closer. Check people out thoroughly. If someone really loves you they won’t mind. Sadly, some people just want your assets. What they say to you is just pretend. Pay close attention to their actions as opposed to their words. Don’t be an Ostrich.
3. “One of you wants children and the other doesn’t.” This comes under the heading of things you need to know about each other BEFORE you marry. Ask all the right questions.
4. “Looking for love in all the wrong places.” Just how desperate are you. Picking up old losers in bars IS a recipe for disaster.
5. “My biological clock is ticking.” So if all your friends are getting love you just grab the first warm body that passes? Maybe not!
Long lasting marriages are generally loving, tolerant and peaceful.
But many people are looking for excitement instead of longevity. And they are in a big hurry. They get in bed together fast, marry quickly and regret it quickly, too.
Slow down, think, and get to know the other person really well. It’s important, maybe the most important decision you’ll ever make.